Honey is considered one of the most effective cough remedies since ancient times. What makes it special and practical is its effectiveness on both dry and productive coughs.
How fast is the effect of honey?
It usually takes around 30 minutes to start noticing the effect of honey after consuming it.
How does honey work to soothe cough?
Honey is packed with antioxidants that boost the immune system and help fight diseases, including the ones causing cough. Also, honey protects the inflamed throat by coating it, which prevents irritants from entering the respiratory passages and triggering coughs.
Honey recipes for cough:
- Honey and Lemon:
To soothe cough and relieve congestion, add the juice of half a lemon to a cup of warm water with one teaspoon of honey. Mix well and drink when needed.
- Honey with Ginger:
To soothe cough and alleviate cold and flu symptoms, add some fresh slices of ginger to hot water. Add a tablespoon of honey, mix well, and drink while hot.
- Honey and Apple Cider Vinegar:
Add two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and one tablespoon of honey to a cup of warm water, mix well, and drink when needed.
- Honey and Turmeric:
Add one tablespoon of honey to turmeric tea. Drink while hot to soothe coughs.
Daily recommended dosage of honey for cough:
- Children 1-5 years old: advised to consume half a teaspoon of honey twice a day.
- Children 6-11 years old: advised to consume one teaspoon of honey twice a day.
- Adults and children above 12 years old: advised to consume one tablespoon of honey twice a day.
- Children under 12 months: should not be given honey to prevent any bacterial infections that may be present in honey. Their immature digestive system can't fight them yet. Adults, on the other hand, can fight off these bacteria.
To sum up, People's feedback has confirmed honey's benefits for cough, and recent studies in the UK have recommended honey as an effective cough treatment for almost everyone. Therefore, if you wish to try a natural home recipe for cough, choose honey and get better soon.