Have you ever tried saffron rice with raisins and pine nuts which is very popular all over the Middle East? To increase the flavor, some hand-ground coriander, cinnamon, and cumin can be used. The spice should not be in powder form. Use mortar and pestle to get the actual consistency and add some flaked almonds along with it.
You can find saffron rice, a combination of white and golden yellow mixed color and garnish with nuts and raisins on many occasions in the Middle Eastern countries.
– 1 1/2 cups (300grams) grain rice
– 2 medium chopped onions
– 1 1/2 cup of pine nuts (75grams)
– 3 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
– 1 cup of hot vegetable stock or water (500ml)
– 3 tablespoon raisins
– salt and perfectly ground black pepper
– 1/4 tablespoon saffron threads that were dissolved in 2 tablespoons of hot water
Instructions to prepare saffron rice:
- Wash the rice using cold water and drain it.
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and cook with the onions and nuts on a moderate heat, and wait for the onions to be translucent in form.
- Add the raisins and rice and stir well until the rice grains are well coated in the oil.
- Add the saffron liquid and hot stock, and add the salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer; reduce heat and cover for 15minutes or until the rice is tender and has small craters on the surface of the rice.
- Remove from the heat and keep it cool for at least 10 minutes before serving
There are several methods in preparing the saffron rice but if you are looking to find the most common and traditional one. You can prefer the method of preparation.
Note: If you don’t have any basmati available, you can always use the regular long-grain white rice.